Vetiver is a grass which belongs to the same family as lemon grass and citronella and is priced for its roots which give you all the aromas and therapeutic properties.The roots of Vetiver or khus ki jad do not give you a hint till they are soaked in water, the earthy woody notes make them a favourite in the perfume industry and also aromatherapy. Vetiver is used in the form of an essential oil for its calming effects and it's extract is also ingested for its cooling effect on the human body. You will find the khus sherbat made during summers in many Indian homes. We tried making the Vetiver syrup at home it turned out great. here is our recipe. Do let us know how it turned out for you in comments or any suggestion that you may have to improve this recipe.
Vetiver roots : 30 gms ( Bought from a Ayurveda Shop)
Water: 350 ml
Sugar: 300 gms
Lime juice: 5-7.5 ml
- Wash the muddy dried root well in water at least 2 times and cut them into 4-6 inch pieces with a pair of scissors
- Soak the roots in 350 ml water. Press the roots in so the water cover it completely. Leave it for 12 -14 hrs.
- The Khus extracts are now in the water, strain it through a regular strainer and then muslin.
- Add sugar to the water and cook till one string consistency. Add lime juice to finish, this is to avoid crystallization.
- Cool it and store in a refrigerator.
- Ready-made khus syrups are green due to added colour.