Home-made Sandal Wood syrup
Sandal wood is known for it therapeutic properties and is used in Ayurvedic medicines as much as it is used in religious rituals in India. Sandal wood is also used in Awadhi cuisine for Kebabs etc and is slowly making it way into a common man's kitchen in India in the form of ready made sandal wood syrups and sharbats. We tried to make our own for use in cocktails and non zero proof cocktail drinks and the wood can add wonderful aromatics and complexity to a simple drink. Here is our recipe. Do comment and let us know if you made any changes or if you have any suggestions. Thanks .
Sandal wood powder: 50 gms ( edible, bought from a Ayurveda shop)
Water: 500 ml
Sugar : 400 gms
lime juice: 5-7.5 ml
- Soak the Sandal wood powder in water overnight, 10-12 hrs
- Strain it 2-3 times through muslin cloth or filter paper to get rid of the fine particles
- Take the clear fragrant water and add sugar to it and cook till one string consultancy
- Add the lemon juice at the end to avoid crystallization
- Cool it and strain once more for clarity
- Store it in the refrigerator. Ours went good till a month before it got over.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.