Cabernet Sauvignon is the king of black grapes and grown globally. Cabernet is characterized by deep purple colour when young with high level of tannins gaining garnet tinges and mellowed tannins with age while cedar wood and tobacco notes are added to the Blackfruit aromas. These wines can age in bottles for decades because of its body, acidity, abundant flavor and tannins. Please note, whenever one speaks of age-worthy wines for any grape, it only refers to say 1% of the wines, the other 99% are meant for early consumption.
Key wine regions for Cabernet Sauvignon
It is most popular for its age worthy wines from Bordeaux. The most classic Cabernet Sauvignon comes from Medoc or Pessac-Leognan sub-district of Graves. Chilean and Californian Cabernets are riper (more fruit driven) and soft. Australian Cabernet shows a hint of eucalyptus, and Coonawarra region is known for its big and bold wines. Tuscan wines, the “Super Tuscans” since 1940’s are using Cabernet sauvignon to blend with their Sangiovese to give it structure and body. These blends are marked by their remarkable acidity and flavor profile.
Cabernet Sauvignon & Food pairing
We would stick to continental favourites of grilled meats and and aubergine lasagna for the vegetarians. We strongly suggest a sublime pairing of cabernet, 6-8 years and upwards to be paired with a hard cheese platter with prunes and nuts.
Brands of Cabernet Sauvignon in the Indian Market (Mumbai prices)
Zuccardi "Q" Rs 4750
Geoff Hardy Petaringa Rs 5400
Carta Vieja Rs 1446
Ventisquero Clásico Rs 1550
Conosur Bicicleta Rs 1650
Antares Rs 1650
Mancura Etnia Rs 1795
De Martino Isla de Maipo Rs 1950
Apaltagua, Gran Verano Rs 1980
Monte Pacifico Reserva Rs 2250
DBR Lafite, Los Vascos Rs 2480
De Martino "Legado" Rs 3360
De Martino Single Vineyard "La Cancha" Rs 5750
Yvon Mau Cabernet Sauvignon IGP Rs 1750
Barton & Guestier Reserve Rs 1850
Charles Rousseau Rs 2100
29 Made for Meat Rs 1970
MAN Family, OU KALANT Rs 1995
Vinologist, Stellenbosch Rs 2592
Thelema, Stellenbosch Rs 5983
Born West Rs 1975
Wente Vineyards Southern Hills Estate Grown, Livermore Valley Rs 3500
Cannon Ball Rs 4500
Honig Vineyards, Napa Valley Rs 10843
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.